Friday 30 January 2009

Not “Only in the Philippines”

A friend emailed some facts that happen ‘kuno’ only in the Philippines...

Now, really… I’m fed up with this “Only in the Philippines” rubbish…

I’m fed up with stuff like “where else do you find people selling quail's eggs, hardboiled eggs, balut, chicharon, green mango with bagoong, salted peanuts and cigarettes and roses...people haggling and selling these on the street... people actually trying to clean your car, people selling cigarettes by the stick, and they even light it for you. Only in the Philippines!”... WHAT??? I don’t have to cite examples but I’m sure it’s not only in the Philippines. And for one, this balut is not only in the Philippines. Making it is not even native to Pinas.

Just like what happened in that 999 incident (in “Sir, are you okay?” blog), it’s also like in the Philippines, people gather around the scene, others are sympathetic; others are just plain curious. So that TV show showing this trait of Pinoys as “Only in the Philippines” is a cant haha!

An Indian housemate showed me a video of the traffic in India which she said as ‘Only in India’, which reminded me of my Mexican friend describing the traffic in Mexico City as ‘Only in Mexico’ --- the same as what we label as ‘Only in the Philippines’ --- the same stint of road fury, impoliteness, disorder and very very very long commutes in the busiest streets in our country.

There also another email with ‘Only in the Philippines’ theme --- ‘What’s in a name?’ written kuno by a certain journalist from UK, describing how Pinoys are very creative about names like Jhunjhun, Ling-ling, Thata, Langgah and with imaginative parents naming their children with rhyme, as in Biboy, Boboy, Buboy, Baboy...

Now, here’s something ridiculous here in UK... In the BBC news the other day, “a travel company in UK is refusing to take bookings from people with names like Britney, Kylie and Dwayne” (because likely, persons with these names are “chavs”)...Huh??? Is there something like this in the Philippines? Hmmm. Lemme think… Aha! I remembered that story my mother told me about her friend’s friend’s friend’s mother who advised her daughter’s friend to break up with her boyfriend because his name is Damian and that the it means “demon”! Whhh? My grandfather’s name is Damian and he’s one of the coolest guys I have ever known. And please, this very type of gossiping, meddling with other people’s business and overgeneralization, it’s not ‘Only in the Philippines’. Now, what’s in a name? Ehehe, hang on, I think I'm drifting now…(“,) Enough of this Only in…

Ooops, wait, also in the BBC news the other day, a 70 year woman was denied of buying a bottle of wine because she failed to give an ID. The store spokesperson said: "We take the sale of alcohol to underage people extremely seriously”. Only in UK? Of course not. This lack of common sense, many Pinoys are plagued with this malady too. But for sure, this happens not only in UK nor “Only in the Philippines”…

(“,) (“,) (“,)

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page
View my page on Friends of WAVES

View my page on CMU Alumni